Saturday, November 20, 2010

Nov 20


It's the first snow here.
I reached 50 000 words on NaNoWriMo, but I am still not finished my novel.
I am having a relaxing day.
I am rereading The Irresistible Revolution and, once again, evaluating my life, looking at my life from a distance, to see in what ways I can be a better follower of Jesus. Mother Teresa is quoted in the book as saying "Following Jesus is simple, but not easy. Love until it hurts, and then love more."
Another quotable guy is Paul Hawken:
"Ralph Waldo Emerson once asked what we would do if the stars only came out once every thousand years. No one would sleep that night, of course. The world would create new religions overnight. We would be ecstatic, delirious, made rapturous by the glory of God. Instead, the stars come out every night and we watch television."
I thought of that quote today during the first snowfall. It's really beautiful here, when it snows, as it turns out. I think it is really beautiful all the time. I could not really going to a university without so much natural beauty- I might go crazy. But the thing about the snow, everyone was excited. People were outside with their tongues out, catching snowflakes. People were having snowball fights outside of their dorms. People were taking pictures, people were writing things in the snow, and I even saw someone with a sled. Couples went for walks in the snow. It was a time here that everyone was happy and excited. And I think that was because we do not see the snow all the time. In February, it snows, and nobody cares. But in November, it is the first real snow, and people are thrilled. Nature is amazing when we appreciate it. Well, it is always amazing, but we miss out on that beauty if we do not appreciate it.

No comments: