Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Book Review: Twilight


Around here, everyone is reading the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. A lot of my friends said how good they were, so I decided to give Twilight a try. Well, here's what I thought.
At first I didn't think it was that great of a book- I work at the library and I'm always putting away books like that- you know, romantic thrillers. It's certainly no Jane Eyre, but then again, it wasn't trying to be. I think what Meyer was aiming for was an Anne Rice- type novel. Since I haven't read any Anne Rice, I wouldn't know. I do know one thing- Meyer captures teenage angst, love, and heartbreak perfectly. I'm just finishing New Moon now, and I am excited to read the next two books. Unlike every teenage girl I know who read Twilight, my favourite character is not Edward, but Jacob. Sure, Edward is hot. But Jacob is nice. I was kind of devastated when he (*spoiler alert*) turned into a werewolf. In a way I wish that Bella just falls in love with an ordinary, human boy and lives happily ever after. But I guess there would be no books that way. I guess the falling in love with ordinary human boys is left up to us.

No comments: