Sunday, November 2, 2008

Best Songs in General

So, I figured, can't limit my list to just Nova flippin Scotia. So, here's a list of the songs I think are the best. Now, bear in mind, I am just one person, living in one time in the world. This list will be biased from the point-of-view of a Christian, Canadian Anglophone young female in the 21st century. I also only have a little over 1000 songs in my iTunes library, of which I consider a little over 300 to be actually good. And out of these, I have carefully chosen the best. As of this moment of time. I will catagorize each of these. Like the Grammy's. Except not. Because the catagories are pretty much arbitrary
So Without Further Ado, the Winnners
Best Christian Song- "Only You" by the David Crowder Band
Best Coldplay song (yes, this is a catagory)- "Swallowed in the Sea" by Coldplay, obviously.
Best song sung by a female- "On the Radio" by Regina Spektor
Best Country Song (one of only two I listen to, in case you were wondering)- "Someday" by Steve Earle.
Best Beatles song- "For No One" by the Beatles of course
Best love song- "My Favourite Chords"- the Weakerthans (I'm warning you, at this point at time I am obessed about the Weakerthans. They are the best thing since Switchfoot)
Best Indie-type song- "Killer of Dragons" by the High Dials
Best Francophone Song- "Manon" by Les Trois Accords
Best Song that Has been in A Commerical- the song from the Discovery Channel Commercial ("I love the whole world...")
Best Rock Classic- "November Rain" by Guns n'Roses
Best song without words- "Music for a Found Harmonium"
Best song with the Name of a Month in it- "Cold December" by Matt Costa
Best Song that is always getting stuck in your head- "The Henney Buggy Band" by Sufjan Stevens
Best Break-Up Song- "Night Windows" by the Weakerthans
Best Canadian Song- "Bobcaygeon" by the Tragically Hip
Best song by a guy who converted to Islam- "Wild World" by Cat Stevens
Best Switchfoot song- "You"
Best song that has been in a film- "My Hands are Shaking" by Sondre Lerche (from Dan in Real Life)
Best song that I can play on guitar- "The Cure for Pain" by Jon Foreman
Best happy song- "Don't Worry Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin
Best song to sing around a campfire- "Wonderwall" by Oasis
Best pre-1900 song- "Be Thou my Vision"
Best 1900-1930 song- "In the Good Old Summertime" by John Philip Sousa
Best 1930-1960 song- "They Can't Take that Away from me" by Fred Astaire
Best 1960s song- "Walk Away Renée" by the Left Banke
Best 1970s song- "Knocking on Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan
Best 1980s song- "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen
Best 1990s song- yeah, I will just skip this catagory
Best 2000s song- "When I Go" by Slow Club
Best punkish song- "Outrage" by Capital Lights
Best crazy weird song- "High 5" by Calibretto 13
Other songs that I should have mentioned but didn't but did now-
"Watermark" by the Weakerthans
"The Blues" by Switchfoot
"Nine Million Bicycles" by Katie Melua
"Breakdown" by Jack Johnson

No comments: