Friday, July 22, 2011

So I went to Guatemala

Two months ago t oday, I spent my first day in Guatemala. It feels as if a lot has changed in those two months. At the same time, I cannot believe it has been that long already! My experience in Guatemala is still fresh in my mind. I love those experiences when I look back on them and think “I can’t believe I did that!” That’s what I think when I think of Guatemala. I can’t believe I woke up at four a.m. to fly—alone—to Newark, and to Houston, and I can’t believe that I sat beside someone on the plane from Newark to Houston without getting to know them. That person turned out to be part of the team I was going to Guatemala with, and we ended up spending a lot of time together on the microfinance site. I also cannot believe that the first time I met my team members was at the Houston airport, minutes before boarding to the plane to Guatemala City. I am a pretty reserved person, and I am not a big fan of going to parties with people I don’t know well, let alone a foreign country! But somehow, I trusted these people. First, I guess, I trusted God. I felt peaceful. I let God worry about everything, and enjoyed the ride, eager to see how I would be used and how God would use this trip to teach me something.

I am not yet sure if I made any difference in the Guatemalan people’s lives. Mostly I was an observer of the microfinance process. I asked questions, sometimes, and prayed, sometimes, and once or twice I played soccer with the kids. I had never felt particularly called to Guatemala, and I still don’t, but God gave me a love for the country and its people. I love the colour of the buildings and clothing, the mountains and volcanoes, and gummy worms from a certain tienda. I love the smell of the coffee and I love hearing Spanish being spoken all the time. I love all the people I got to know, even for a little while- my host family, various farmers and carpenters, young mothers and strong women. I love saying “Buenos dias,” “Buenos tardes,” or “Buenas Noches” to each person I see on the street.

God sure taught me a lot in Guatemala, and before and afterwards too. Before the trip, I learned that if God wants me to go somewhere, I don’t have to worry about the finances. During the trip, I learned so much. We read 1 John and the phrase “perfect love drives out fear” just kept on coming to my mind. I am still ruminating what that means. But at missions conferences I often go to, I hear the phrase “The safest place to be is in the middle of God’s will.” So I think that is true, because when I know something is God’s will, and know that His love is there, I feel a wonderful kind of peace. And I had felt since about six months ago that I should go into missions. Things just kept on popping up to confirm it. Finally, I came to Guatemala, and I realized that is exactly what I should do. It’s exciting to feel called to something. Right now I only know I want to tell someone about Jesus who has never yet heard of Him. But that is OK. Some people who are missionaries in Guatemala full-time shared their testimony during the time I was there. They spoke with vulnerability and honesty about all their struggles and how God had used them. It was very powerful because they were honest and they did not feel very special. But God used them anyway. I was encouraged knowing that even if I feel inadequate, anything I can give is completely adequate to God. I sometimes feel like I have to be a super holy person to be a missionary, but after going to Guatemala, I realized all I need to do is follow Jesus. He said go.


Photos courtesy of SI Guatemala

No comments: